Re-Opening Health Protocols
Returning to campus for in-person learning will require enhanced health and safety protocols at every step of the way. An evolving mitigation plan of several strategies working together can greatly reduce the risk of transmission.
- Employees must monitor themselves for symptoms daily. Students, with the assistance of families, must also be monitored daily for symptoms.
- Prior to coming into school every morning, every student and Derby employee will report any symptoms using an app through our health software provider, Magnus. Parents, please see these instructions. No child or employee will be allowed on campus without completing this app prior to 7:30am. Any alert from the app will be sent directly to the school nurse, as well as persons in charge of attendance.
- No student, faculty, or staff member will be allowed on campus unless we receive clearance. Our expectation is that any person with a symptom of COVID-19 will remain at home, inform the school, get tested, as well as provide medical written authorization to return to school.
- The school nurse is the primary contact at Derby Academy for questions pertaining to attendance at school. No child or adult may enter school tardy without written medical documentation.(Example- orthodontic/dentist appointment.)
- Until we have written medical confirmation allowing a child or adult to return to campus, students and employees must stay home if feeling unwell.
In order to protect our community to the largest extent possible, all students and Derby employees are required to wear a cloth face covering that covers the nose, mouth, and chin to help prevent the spread of droplet secretions to others. A two-ply mask (not the sun buff type) is required at all times when inside a building, while playing on the playground or a field, and whenever else they are or might be within 6’ of another student or adult. Mask breaks and designated break spaces will be built into class and recess time.
- Face shields may be worn in addition to a mask, but are not a substitute for masks. We require a two-ply mask. Please use a lanyard or other attachment for your child's mask so that during mask breaks it stays around his or her neck. Gaiters or buff-type masks are not allowed.
- If a person forgets a mask, please contact Laurie Potter for Pre-K-Grade 3 and for Grades 4-8 to Kym Schneider so that a mask can be brought to the student or adult while maintaining social distance.
- Designated mask break areas will be set up outside at all recess locations. Mask breaks may also happen in the classroom at the determination of the teacher, only when all students are seated at their desks spaced 6' apart and all students are silent. Adults may take mask breaks when alone in a room with the door closed or when outside more than 6' away from others.
- We recognize that wearing a mask might be difficult for some younger children. We suggest experimenting with different types of cloth face coverings and building your child’s stamina for wearing them throughout the remainder of the summer. Talking with your child about this school expectation ahead of time will help smooth the transition.
- Hands should be washed prior to putting on a mask, as well as after taking off a mask. Do not wear a previously worn mask—a clean mask, either disposable or washable, should be worn each day.
- If a student or Derby employee is unable to wear a mask for medical reasons, please provide written medical documentation to the school nurse regarding the health matter prior to the opening day of school.
Derby Academy’s standard of distance will be 6’ from one another. There may be times that this is not always achieved, especially with small children, but 3’ apart will be a minimum distance set by Derby Academy to minimize the risk of exposure to COVID-19 and other illnesses.
All students, faculty, and staff are required to wash their hands or use hand sanitizer when entering the first building of his or her day, exiting the building at the end of the day, as well as throughout the school day.
- Soap and water
- 20 seconds
- Making a lather and using friction
- Cleaning all surfaces of hands to the wrist bones as well as thumbs, inner hand, backs of hands, and in between fingers
- Rinse and dry thoroughly with a clean paper towel
- If soap and water are not available, a hand sanitizer containing at least 60% alcohol will be available.
Teachers will be responsible for maintaining this important hygiene measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and other illnesses.
- Compass Cleaning Services will be conducting nightly cleaning and disinfecting of surfaces beginning at 6:00pm each evening. Derby employees will not enter the buildings until the next morning beginning at 7:00am.
- Derby maintenance staff will be cleaning common areas and surfaces throughout the day on a regular basis.
- Air filters for the HVAC systems will be changed out on a more frequent basis. In addition, classroom windows will be open to allow for additional fresh air (weather permitting.)
Adult interaction with each cohort will be carefully recorded to allow for accurate and comprehensive contract tracing with our school community if necessary.
- Derby Academy requires all information regarding COVID-19 to be communicated to the school health center, whether a member of our Derby community has symptoms of COVID-19, has been directly exposed to someone with a positive COVID-19 case, or has a positive or negative test result of COVID-19. The school health center staff and administration require written documentation from a health care provider to clear a student or Derby employee to return to campus.
- Any person who develops symptoms of COVID-19 while at school will be excused by the school health center staff and advised to consult their medical professional for medical testing. Any sibling of a child with potential COVID-19 symptoms will also be excused.
- Symptomatic children must be tested for COVID-19 as soon as possible. Written medical documentation indicating clearance to return to school must be given to the school health center before re-entry into school.
- Parents of all students who may have had close contact with someone with symptoms of COVID-19 will be alerted by phone/email from the school.
- If the person tests positive for COVID-19, Derby Academy will consult with public health officials and all members of the cohort will be excused for a 14-day quarantine, at which time remote learning for that cohort would begin. Only students in that cohort with Derby siblings would be required to get COVID-19 testing.
If you feel unwell, please stay home. We all need to work together to keep illnesses of any kind out of school to maintain the optimal health of our community. By working together we can help minimize the risk of all illnesses to others, especially COVID-19.
People with COVID-19 have had a wide range of symptoms reported— from mild symptoms to severe illness. Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus. People with these symptoms may have COVID-19:
- Fever over 100.0 degrees F
- sore throat
- uncontrolled cough with difficulty breathing
- sudden loss of taste and smell
- severe headache especially with fever
- abdominal pain
- close contact with a COVID positive individual ( within 6 feet for a cumulative total of greater than 15 minutes)
- The school nurse’s office has been moved to the Sylvester Building. Health staff are the only people allowed in that building unless a student or employee requires medical attention. If a student is ill or injured, a teacher (while masked and socially distant) may walk the child to the school nurse’s office, but may not enter the building. If a student or adult is in distress, the school nurse will attend to a student or adult at a designated building on campus or outdoors while maintaining guidelines and using proper PPE.
- A wheelchair will be provided if indicated.
- Any student or adult who is ill on campus will be screened by the school nurse. If there is a suspected case of COVID-19, the school nurse will put on proper PPE, and the person will be brought into a quarantine room in the nurse’s office. If there is more than one individual, 6’ of distance or more will be maintained, and face masks will be worn at all times. Hand washing/ hand sanitizing will occur on entering the quarantine room and when exiting the room to the parent’s car. Adults will drive themselves if deemed appropriate.
- 911 will be contacted for all medical emergencies.
- The school nurse’s office will continue to operate for everyday issues for students, however, minor issues may be dealt with by a teacher (bumps and bruises) in classrooms. A regular treatment room will be used for non-COVID-19 and non-serious illness. The school nurse does not conduct vision, hearing, or scoliosis screenings.
- All medication must be dropped off to the school nurse before the school year begins, and as appropriate during the school year. Please consult with the school nurse the week before school opens so a delivery can be coordinated while adhering to our guidelines and confirming there are no illnesses on campus. Examples: EpiPens, asthma inhalers, and daily medication. All medication requires parent and physician written documentation for administration in school.
A parent or guardian must pick an ill child up from the Derby campus as soon as possible. The parent or guardian will call the school nurse upon arrival to campus and the school nurse will escort the child to the car wearing PPE. Parents and guardians should remain in their car wearing a mask. Any medical information will be given to the parent over the phone prior to dismissal.
All students and adults who are dismissed from campus due to illness will require written medical clearance to return to campus.