Our Distance Learning Program
Our Learning Continues
Our remote teaching and learning program enables us to reach our goals of challenging, supporting, and connecting with our students
Our faculty provide the best online learning experience to engage our students intellectually and socially. Our dedication to ensuring that each child is ‘known’ and our commitment to improving both mind and heart will ensure that Derby remains a connected and successful learning community.
Why We Teach
We’re able to build a successful distance learning program because of the strength of the relationships we build with students and families. We focus on implementing all the wonderful differentiation and enrichment we’d normally do in person with our small class sizes.
While any transition can be challenging, what has endured is the School’s mission to provide for its students, families, and for each other. The thread of those connections is woven through our distance learning program.
We recognized that, just like in the classroom, there is no "one-size-fits-all" approach to distance learning. Teachers assign different or modified activities to students and hold 1:1 check-ins, focused on both academic and social-emotional health. Our math and literacy specialists in the Lower School also hold 1:1 supplemental instruction for specific students.
Technology to Support Relationships
Utilizing multiple technology platforms, our curriculum is conducted through Zoom meetings, Google Classroom assignments, and online educational platforms like SeeSaw, FlipGrid, and EdPuzzle.
In many ways, the Derby community is closer than ever. Zoom morning meetings, virtual field days, and Friday dance parties; French cuisine cooking clubs, online art galleries, and at-home obstacle courses; story times, student newspapers, and at-home science labs— faculty and students stay connected in creative ways.
Ready to Learn More?
Our Admissions Office is here to help you and your family with any questions you may have about Derby or our Distance Learning Program.
The Derby community has been a true beacon of hope and positivity and we couldn't thank you enough. Entering this unprecedented journey, there were certainly more questions than answers, but I can honestly say the one true constant has been the genuine support given to our children...You can hear the genuine sentiment in the voices of the Derby community when they say, ‘we miss the kids so much.’
Mike Driscoll P’25,’27
Of Our Support
MS/US Students & Faculty in our Zoom Morning Meetings
Alumni Reconnected on DerbyConnect
Weeks of Our Derby Cares Initiative
Outstanding Graduating Students Celebrated
“Best Dancer” awarded at Zoom Meetings
Days of Learning Missed
Different Kinds of Pets Introduced by Our Faculty
- How much time do faculty spend with students in online instruction?
- How is Derby balancing screen-time with online instruction?
- How do students keep in touch with classmates during the school day?
- How is the Distance Learning schedule structured?
- Is the school conducting any extracurricular activities?
- What if a student does not have access to high-speed internet?
- Is Derby Academy’s Campus Closed?
- How can our family visit campus for a tour?
- Are you still enrolling for the fall?
- How can our child spend a day at Derby?
- Is the school still receiving mail?
- What steps are being taken to keep COVID-19 from campus?
- What are the School’s plans for the fall of 2020?
- Who can families contact for further questions?