Tuition and Affordability
|*PRE-K EXTENDED DAY (2 SESSIONS OFFERED PER YEAR)||TUITION|
|1 Day||$1,430 per session|
|2 Days||$2,860 per session|
|3 Days||$4,290 per session|
$5,720 per session
As a cornerstone of the vision of our founder, Sarah Derby, tuition and financial assistance helped create one of the first coeducational schools in the country and has impacted countless generations of families. Derby’s commitment to providing tuition and financial assistance to qualified students and families remains a priority today.
What Does Tuition Cover?
- Books and materials
- Field trips
- Art and woodshop supplies
- Athletic fees
(except ice hockey)
- Daily snacks
- Technology for students entering Grades 6-8
- Private bus transportation (limited to the Route 3A corridor from Duxbury to Hingham)
- Van service to and from Boston
- After school programs
- Instrument rentals if needed
- Tutorial fees
*Many of the additional fees are discounted at the same rate as a family’s tuition assistance award.
What is it?
Need-based monetary assistance provided by the School to reduce tuition cost to families.
What it’s not
It’s not a loan that needs to be repaid.
What does “need-based” mean?
The difference between the tuition cost & your family’s ability to pay.
Total Amount Given
Range of AwardS
Average TUITION ASSISTANCE AMOUNT received
Towns represented BY families who
RECEIVE TUITION ASSISTANCE
TUITION ASSISTANCE Distribution
Applying for Tuition Assistance
Derby Academy is committed to making its programs available to as many qualified applicants as possible each year, regardless of a family's ability to pay the full cost of tuition.
In order to allocate our tuition assistance resources in the fairest manner possible, Derby subscribes to the School and Student Services for Financial Aid (SSS), which serves many independent schools throughout the country. Grants are awarded on the basis of need.
Please visit Student Services’ Family Resource Center page page to begin the process. Log in or create your Parents' Financial Statement (PFS) account. If you applied for tuition assistance last year, use your login information as a returning family.
Complete the PFS for the academic year you are applying for by January 15 for Pre-K. Kindergarten — Grade 8 applicants need to apply by February 10 . To submit the application, you will need to pay a $51 non-refundable fee. (Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for a fee waiver if the fee poses a financial hardship). Once submitted, it can't be withdrawn from the system. After submitting the PFS, upload the required documents to the Family Portal’s “My Documents” section of the website by January 15 and February 10 respectively, so our Tuition Assistance Committee will have plenty of time to review your information.
What Happens After You Apply?
- SSS will make a recommendation of what your family can afford to contribute
- Derby's Business Office will verify the information presented and calculate our ability to meet your need
- We will present you with a tuition assistance grant, if we are able to, and alert you to your expected contribution
- How is it determined if our family qualifies for tuition assistance?
- Will my child’s admission decision be negatively impacted if we apply for tuition assistance?
- How do I know if I should apply for Tuition Assistance?
- If I qualify for and receive tuition assistance for one year, do I have to reapply every year?
- Do you offer merit scholarships?